There’s probably been many versions of this, but I when I recently saw it I simply thought it too good not to share. Not that I always abide to these rules…
- Avoid Alliteration. Always.
- Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
- Avoid cliches like the plague. They’re old hat.
- Comparisons are as bad as cliches.
- Be more or less specific.
- Writers should never generalise.
- Don’t be redundant; don’t use more words than necessary; it’s highly superfluous.
- Who needs rhetorical questions?
- Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
Ten. Be consistent!