So you’ve launched a blog. Maybe because someone told you that it would be good for business and lead generation. Maybe because you feel like everyone has a blog these days, and so you should have one, too.
Never mind your reasons, you’re now at the place where you’re stuck. What should you write about when you don’t have any topics or ideas in mind? It can be quite daunting not knowing what to say to your clients or potential future clients, but it doesn’t have to be!
Here are 7 simple ways to come up with some great blog post ideas:
- Eavesdrop: It’s powerful and inspiring listening to people. Take a client for a drink after work. Spend time searching the web for hot topics and conversations and how they affect your market. By doing this, you can actually deliver solid, relevant content – not just some random waffling.
- Get into the habit of keeping an ideas list/file: Always make sure you jot down ideas for potential posts. You don’t need to spend time on brainstorming sessions for blog posts when the inspiration is all around you, every day.
- Once you start writing, don’t make it more complicated than necessary: Don’t stray from the topic. Less really is more. Keep your posts short and to the point.
- Use bullet lists: If your post has the potential to be broken down into bullet or numbered lists – do it. Online readers are content scanners. They are much more likely to read simple bullet or numbered lists than long, boring paragraphs.
- Use frequently asked questions as inspiration for blog posts: A blog post is a great way to give tips and advice to your market.
- Ride on the back of previous posts: By keeping point no. 3 in mind, if your post is getting too long, consider breaking it up into a series of posts. This could mean 3 short but powerful posts instead of one, long one that no one will read to the end.
- If you’re really pressed for time, use a topic generator like this one from HubSpot. Caution: use it wisely! Make sure it applies to your topic and your market, otherwise you may just sit with a blog title like “What will sandwiches be like in 100 years?”
How do you generate blog post ideas?